what's in a name

I've had so many questions over the years about how to pronounce my business name and where/how I came up with it. I love word play and just went round and round with a dictionary and a thesaurus to see what I could come up with. I liked the actual word juxtaposition, meaning "two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect for design purposes" and I felt that it fit what I was doing, combining 'junk' with new settings and chains to make 'cool' jewelry. I created the name juNxtaposition®, adding the N and then capitalizing it, just for quirkiness {and so people would notice it} & used the tag line "the art and placement of junk for design purposes" .
Most of my jewelry (and now home accessories) are created with items purchased at flea markets, generally referred to as 'junk'. I have since trade marked the name so that people will always know it is me (I've had to literally defend it when another copied it !) While a lot of customers do not pronounce it correctly, they do know it when they see it, and they know it's me ... the jewelry lady with the funny name that starts with a J. I followed none of the rules that I learned in Marketing class back in the day, it's hard to say, it's hard to spell, no one knows what it means ... lol but it has worked for me for 17 years now, and with the internet, everyone just needs to 'save' the link ... so I'm sticking with it !



At this point ... between the pink ruffles & the crazy name, it's established 
... so I think I'll let it be ♥  don''t you think ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

we always appreciate your voice........

Featured Post

The Finishing Touch

I got my love of creating years ago, when I was just a kiddo.  My gramma knitted. I found it so fascinating that she created something .. ...

Popular Posts